Sunday, February 26, 2006

Motivation for Blogging

The Web Watch Column in the Washington Post invited bloggers to tell what motivates them to blog. I sent in the following:

"Dear Web Watch,

I am an old blogger, in my seventies, and believe passionately in moderate and centrist politics and policies, areas often ignored as bloggers dive for the extremes or into their navels.

George Bush and his neoconservative and Evangelical supporters have taken the nation down extreme and even lawless roads. It is my mission to discredit them and to fight for divided government.

With the White House, both chambers of Congress, and, mostly, the federal judiciary in the hands of a single party that has been hijacked by a narrow spectrum of the body politic, it is incumbent on citizens to stand up for what they believe.

By writing on a broad range of subjects with humor, irony, sarcasm, sadness, and, only occasionally, anger, over the course of less than two years, more than 600 regular readers have acquired a taste for my blog. It is gratifying to represent something important and to be joined by people from around the globe who would have never known of my existence or views.

Blogging has liberated individuals everywhere and, in the long term, doomed those who would govern in secret and for the few. My blog, Bill’s Blog on Western Civilization and Other Trivial Matters, can be viewed at www.wildbill944.blogspot.com. I post several times each week.

Blog on!

Wild Bill"

I want to thank so many of you for checking in on a regular basis.

Wild Bill

No comments: