Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Support Our Troops

Support Our Troops! Of course I do, but tell me what it means?

I have been an opponent of the Iraq War since the idea was first floated, yet I swear I'm a supporter of the troops, perhaps as great as those who cheered as the Used Car Salesman In Chief proclaimed an end to hostilities on the flight deck of the Abraham Lincoln so very long ago.

Just what does the cliche, Support Our Troops, mean? Does it mean that I want to stay in Iraq until the casualties rise to double those already incurred? Until we've broken the army and the bank? Hardly. Perhaps it means I support getting them the armored Humvies they should have had so long ago; you bet I do.

Does it mean mindless support of the policy to spread freedom to all nations? Not if it means I have to buy into the bunkum that replaces the slam dunk guarantee that we would find weapons of mass destruction as soon as Saddam was toppled. Surely you remember the performance by Secretary of State Colin Powell before the U.N. Security Council when he showed slides of weapons lurking under every rock in the desert sun? We're still looking - but it's a big country.

Of course you remember when Army Chief of Staff General Eric Shinseki was derided - and retired - for saying it would take more than 200,000 American troops to pacify a conquered Iraq? Of course you do, but that's long gone as problem. The latest word from the UCSIC is that everything is going swimmingly in Iraq and that as soon as morons like Wild Bill - and you, dear reader - get with the program and support our troops, then those evil jihadists will see that resistance is futile and throw up their hands in surrender to freedom and the American way.

I bought one of those ribbons today, and I'll mount it on my car like everyone else as soon as someone explains rationally what the hell it means. I'm waiting.

Blog on!

Wild Bill

1 comment:

Juliana L'Heureux said...

Of course we support out troops! I am the wife of a Viet Nam war veteran - I know what it is like to serve for an ungrateful nation. But, I'm with you, Wild Bill. Against this awful war we are now stuck in while I support our valiant troops who are also stuck in Iraq along with our thus far failed foriegn policy for freedom for the Iraqi people.