Saturday, April 28, 2007

Careful Now

I’m going to support the Democratic nominee for president in’08 - period! That said there is no doubt in my mind that among those running, some of those Democrats will look better to independent and moderate Republican voters than others, and I’m more than a little concerned that the Dems are being snookered by right wing pundits and party stalwarts. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard Barack Obama described by our kindly conservative friends as a phenom who is taking America by storm, a wunderkind galvanizing the voters, and a dozen other great adjectives.

It’s wonderful that Obama has the likes of David Brooks of the New York Times almost speechless with admiration. But I really don’t buy this baloney. Frankly, I think they’re trying to set up the Dems with a `don’t throw me in the briar patch defense’.

The Republicans are in grave danger of having overplayed their trump suit of strength on national security matters. The adverse impact of the Iraq War on the electorate and the incompetence of the Bush administration in prosecuting that conflict and the war in Afghanistan has the political right frightened silly, and I perceive their mock horror at the freak of nature Obama possibly sweeping them from power is simply a sham.

They overtly call on the Dems to nominate Hillary so that they can get a four year extension on the lease at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and openly cringe at the prospect of an Obama headed ticket. But do they mean it? I don’t believe it for a minute. I think Hillary is truly the one they fear and that they’d welcome the chance to fire away at the relatively inexperienced Obama.

I’m convinced the Republicans are begging to be thrown into that old thicket. Beware of frightened neocons!

Blog on!

Wild Bill

No comments: